Benefits of Shopping at a Farmers’ Market or Local Grower
- Many fruits and vegetables are seasonal, and you will find a wide range of them available in these markets. You are most likely to discover a number of freshly grown food items that you might have never seen before in a supermarket or grocery store. Be prepared to be amazed, thrilled, intrigued and invigorated by the huge variety of fresh produce you would find here.
- Carting items from locally grown farms has various advantages. The shorter distances dramatically decrease fuel usage for transportation. Packaging is reduced, and the need for preservatives is almost non-existent. This results in foods that are healthier, fresher and tastier. The entire system is more eco-friendly as well. By eating locally grown food, less transportation is needed, thus cutting down emissions. According to David Suzuki, the average meal travels 1,200 km from the farm to your plate.
- Local farmers need our support to thrive in their agricultural business. But more importantly, we need them for our own good. They supply us with healthy and nutritious fruits and vegetables that are grown organically. The diversity of crops grown by local farmers is also quite huge. We gain to benefit the most from their success. It is a perfect win-wi
- You can learn of lot of new recipes by visiting these places. Most sellers would be happy to tell you how to cook tasty dishes with their rare and exotic food items. You can get to know one-of-a-kind recipes and try them at home next time to shop here.
- Farmer’s markets can help build a better community as well. You can take your children along for shopping and help them to get a better understanding of how fruits, vegetables and other food items are grown and processed.
- It supports the local economy. By buying food grown near you, you know that your money goes directly to those growing the food.